Thursday, April 28, 2011

Method 8

In general, I am not a fan of social networking sites. Maybe because I have read too much about digital footprints and the permanance of information....maybe because I feel overwhelmed just keeping up with emails, texts, messages...maybe because I already keep up with everyone from my past that I want to keep up with...maybe because I have heard of too many misuses of social networking...

On the other hand, I feel outdated because I do not use social networking sites, especially when as a librarian, I attempt to keep up with technology trends. I wonder if social networking sites will make email outdated.

I definitely see the value of using Facebook or Twitter in the library. The examples from public and college libraries exemplify the many ways libraries are using social networking to connect to their patrons. I work at a public high school and feel a little uneasy making a social connection with students.

I decided the perfect solution would be to create a library Facebook page, but when I tried, it still had to be connected to a personal profile and I have decided not to create one.

We have a student library club and it would be great to send reminders to the students. While exploring Facebook, I noticed the ability to add a RSS fee to your Facebook page. I think I will encourage my student to add the library web page RSS feed to their facebook accounts to keep up with events and changes.

1 comment:

  1. Just FYI, there IS a way to create a Facebook page for your library and not tie it to a personal account -- I need to update that in the "A Dozen Ways" program and let people know this. Right underneath the "sign up" section that a person might use on the Facebook home page, there is a link that let's you "Create a Page for a celebrity, band or business". If you click that, then on the next page, libraries are listed under "local business or place". I am fairly certain that you can then create the account for your library that way WITHOUT needing to tie it to a personal facebook account. You do still need to tie it to a real person with an email address, I think, but you can use the email address for the library. We have an archived Webinar where Tine Walczyk demonstrates building a page for a library, if you would like to watch it: https://onlinetraining.tsl.state.tx.us/course/view.php?id=80&username=guest .
    Please let me know if you have any questions! thanks, Naomi

    ReplyDelete