Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Methods 1 and 2

I have been hearing the term Web 2.0 for a few years and understand it to be the second generation of the web-based tools…interactive, collaborative, live, and social; however, it was not until I read Stephen Abram’s article, that I heard the term,  Library 2.0.  Abram says this is the “concept of how to use Web 2.0 opportunities in a library environment.”  We use many Web 2.0 tools in my library program, but this is my first introduction to the term. 

Available tech tools that add value to our patron services must be utilized.  Our patrons are driving many of our services.  For example, more patrons with electronic reading devices push us to provide electronic books.  The “embedded librarian” is another phrase I have been hearing, and it reinforces the ideas presented in these videos and articles. Librarians must expand their services beyond the library, both in the physical and virtual worlds. I am looking forward to exploring more ways to serve patrons who may never actually visit my library.  

No comments:

Post a Comment