Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Method 7

I am so excited to learn about Delicious and other social bookmarking sites. I heard a speaker mention Delicious at TLA this month and wondered what it was. There are so many new web 2.0 tools, it is difficult to keep up!

I definitely think I will use Delicious to create pathfinders for my teachers and students. I currently have a web page where I have collected and organized websites, but using Delicious would be much easier. I created an account for my library. I especially like the idea of accessing other libraries' lists. I am the only high school librarian in my school district and often feel overwhelmed trying to locate good web sites for all the various subjects and assignments. I know that other high school librarians in Texas are supporting the same curriculum and now I can build upon their expertise. I also want to try the RSS feed to a particular tag.

I have heard and read a lot about how to organize the Internet. Ten years ago, I remember a discussion about adding subject headings to Internet pages with controlled vocabulary. It was interesting to read the article in this method about librarians "letting go" and creating tags without authority checks.

I think this is another way we can reach out to our patrons that may not be physically in the library by using our expertise to select quality web sites and organize them for our users.

No comments:

Post a Comment