Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Method 9


I am excited to learn how to embed the Meebo widget.  I have been working to get it on my library web site, but I am having some formatting problems so I decided to embed it here for practice. I plan to embed it on the library web site too.

I think this is a great tool for libraries to answer questions for their patrons, especially academic and public libraries that may have extended hours.   I am not sure how available I will be during the day to help students because I am seldom at my desk.  We do not have evening or weekend library hours so I will have to see how effective the chat window is for my library.

During the day, everyone in my school district has access to IM through our Google Apps accounts.  I use this often, especially if I need immediate help from our tech department or want to have an extended dialog with a teacher.  I like using IM and have learned to wait for a response before I type again to avoid messages passing in cyberland.  I have had some pretty confusing chat sessions, especially when more than two people are chatting. Most teachers are not able to spend much time at their computers so sometimes it is hit and miss with chatting.

1 comment: